Friday, January 7, 2011

Trading Races


Trading prospects and potential for guaranteed mediocrity--that's the Chicago Cub way. I thought everyone already knew, but as the late Notorious B.I.G would say, "If you don't know, now you know, n*#%$@." The news of the Cubs trading for right-handed pitcher, Matt Garza, hit the media outlets in Chicago early this morning and for the first time since probably the early 20th Century, both Cubs and Sox fans are rejoicing. Sox fans, of course, are glad to see Garza leave the American League so they don't have to face the power-pitching starter who consistently ranked atop the AL in opponent batting average (.222 in '09, .238 in '10). As for Cub fans, they are excited to have acquired yet another solid right-handed starter without adding a legitimate set-up man or a left-handed starter that isn't Tom Gorzelanny. Us Cub fans can be so naive at times.

Looking under the microscope at this winter exchange, we can see that the Cubs probable rotation for 2011 will be Zambrano, Garza, Dempster, Wells and Silva. Or at least that's what I would assume it would be based on each pitcher's success from a year ago. But, you have to throw a lefty in there somewhere, right? So toss in Gorzelanny and 13 extra losses in 2011 and there you have it. Go Cubs go. 2011 is probably not the year, again. I'm not faulting Jim Hendry for making a play for Garza. He's a solid pitcher who has become accustomed to relative success in the two best small-market franchises in baseball that play in the two worst venues in professional sports (Minnesota and Tampa Bay). I'm sure Matt is thrilled to be coming to Chicago. He can finally pitch in front of a sell-out crowd in May and not 1,200 disinterested morons and Dick Vitale like he did in Tampa Bay. But the catch for the Garza trade is that Jim Hendry went out and got what he already had. That's like asking the conservative, National Honor Society hottie to the homecoming dance, but you get sour grapes when you find yourself in a group with guys who are going with smokeshows who wore a short dresses and have limited inhibitions. Sure, you look like a prince at the picture party, but what happens at 11:00 when all of your buddies are making out to Sean Paul songs while your asking your date what colleges she is thinking of attending? Not a good situation I'm sure. That analogy wasn't based on actual events, I swear. I would be a lot more proud if it had been.

Also, it may go unnoticed at first, but I think the Cubs lost a real gem in Jewish, spark-plug outfielder, Sam Fuld. He was a great spot-hitter/pinch-runner for the Cubs bench and was extraordinarily versatile. He should fit in well with Tampa Bay and their small-ball style of play. And for Chris Archer, I don't know much about him but he sounds like he had great potential (that's all anyone can really say, right?).

When the deal was finalized Friday morning, I did my normal Wikipedia background check on Matt to find out what he's all about. Before I searched, I recalled that I am normally always a little apprehensive about people with American first names and Hispanic surnames, it just gives me a weird vibe. Maybe that's George Lopez and Mark Sanchez's fault, I don't know. I noticed he has a trademark bushel of hair he calls a goatee and pencil thin sideburns, so things didn't exactly start off on the right foot. Then, I realized that he is extremely vocal in helping people deal with teen pregnancy since he encountered the life crisis himself. He has spoken on panels with Hayden Panettiere and Bristol Palin about the taboo topic. So right there we found out all we need to know about Garza's future in Cubbie blue. He has the discipline not to leave his childhood sweetheart and runaway with Hayden and watch I Love You, Beth Cooper every day for the rest of his life. And, he has the patience to listen to whatever anyone in the Palin family has to say without knowingly driving himself into oncoming traffic, so a century long drought without a World Series ring shouldn't be too much of a problem.

As for Pick of the Day, after winning two bets earlier in the week, the Pulse Man likes the Hornets covering the 8 points they're getting in LA from the Lakers on Friday. Have a great weekend!

Pick of the Day: Hornets (+8) @ Lakers- HORNETS

Record:(44-30-0)

Now I'm done. Rack me

Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment