Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Lost Boy


After being held captive at home for 36 straight hours, I truly feel like a P.O.W. (Prisoner of Weather) Over the course of these last two days, I have subjected myself to some of the most bizarre behavior I could have ever imagined. For instance, I not only watched, but ORDERED "Going the Distance" with Justin Long and Drew Barrymore. After viewing it, and as much as it pains me to say, enjoying it, I told the Pulse Man that the only downfall of the movie was the casting of Drew Barrymore (she was as bad and as unattractive as ever. Plus, she was playing a role at least 8 years her Junior). Intelligently, the Pulse Man replied, "Yea, but it was realistic at least. No one else is dumb enough to fall for Justin Long." The following day provided no more enthusiasm or zest for life from yours truly as I once again found myself watching "A Walk to Remember", a romantic comedy starring Shane West that was made 9 years ago! Now, we all know that I only partook in watching "A Walk.." because of my deep affinity for Mandy Moore and her rousing portrayal of a shy, wholesome SLD (sexy, little demon-shout out El Don). But, her character's ability to see past the flawed, rugged exterior of Landon (Shane West), and see the good in him has inspired me to look at the 2010-2011 season of Luol Deng from an entirely different perspective. I suppose that I'm scratching the bottom of the barrel here, but it was all I could come up with. I should probably lock myself in my bedroom and listen to the "Silver Side Up" album cover to cover only to remind me that things can in fact, become worse.

Think about Luol though, does anyone else receive less of a fair shake than him? Ok, maybe Cutler. But we have burdened Luol with expectations entirely out of his capacity since the Bulls acquired him through the draft as a 19 year old. Every time Deng has a good game, we throw it in our "use him as trade bait" vault like holding onto him is going to cause the entire roster to come down with Trachoma (disease of the Sudan. Don't look it up). Does anyone else see LD as a piece of the Bulls' puzzle that has only fit together for a handful of games so far in this season's first half? In the past, maybe we have set the bar too high for Deng. He was a young-20's kid on a team with less talent than Season 8 of American Idol (the one where Kris Allen won. I know, who?). But now with a bonafide superstar at the point guard position and another All-Star manning the low-block, perhaps this is the best possible situation for Luol Deng to emerge into his potential. How many other 3rd scoring options in the NBA have put up 40 this season? Luol has.

If you think that I'm trying to rationalize his contract with you, I'm not. It's a ludicrous deal. Luol Deng has more money than Davey Crockett, but is that his fault? The Bulls' front office personnel are the feeble-minded morons that gave it to him. Yet when you watch the Bulls in mixed company and Deng misses an open 18-footer, you hear endless insensitive "I wish Leo would have mowed him down in Blood Diamond" jokes that really aren't warranted. This happens every time. Listen for it. People hate Luol Deng. Yet Deng and Bogans are the only two Bulls who have started every game for the division leaders so far this year. Rose might just get the MVP this season and Boozer will probably be an All-Star. Hell, Noah might be the NBA's Defensive POY 4 times before his tenure in Chicago is over, but can you really put a price on a reliable 3rd option? Sure you can, $11,355,850 for 2010-2011. Not a penny more, not a penny less.

As for Pick of the Day, the Pulse Man likes Blake Hoffarber and the rest of the Golden Gophers to clip Indiana in Assembly Hall by more than 3.5 tonight. It's Groundhog Day, why not pull for the rodents?

Pick of the Day: Minnesota (-3.5) @ Indiana- MINNESOTA

Record:(51-36-0)

Now I'm done. Rack me

Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment